Archive Mode. Call Iowa State Fair Fine Arts Show ended on 5/29/20, 11:59 PM. Call settings are read only. See Current Open Calls
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE AT https://iowastatefair.artcall.org/
If an actual object does not “match” the digital image which has been accepted, (i.e. if the digital image has been manipulated for appearance) then the actual object will not be accepted for exhibition.
For work to be considered for this exhibition it must meet the following requirements:
General rules listed on the Iowa State Fair website also apply in this department.
For work to be exhibited it must meet these requirements:
ADULT – persons age 19 and over, high school graduates regardless of age enter as adult (limit two entries)
YOUTH – persons age 14 to and including age 18 (limit two Fine Art entries)
JUNIOR – persons age 9 to and including age 13 (limit two Fine Art entries)
CHILDREN – persons age 3 to and including age 8 (limit one Fine Art entry)
Please note: All work submitted by children between the ages of 3 and 8 will be displayed. However, due to space limitations these young artists may submit only one piece of work.
1. ACRYLIC/ TEMPERA - This category inlcudes opaque mediums other than oil.
2. DRAWING - This category includes work rendered by hand with pencil, charcoal, ink, graphite or scratch board. It does NOT include digitally enhanced images.
3. FIBER - Handwoven and/or hand decorated textiles are eligible. All articles must be handcrafted by the entrant only. The category includes weaving, fiber construction, batik, tie dying, knotting, appliqué and trapunto. Work must be accompanied by a label for identification and ready to hang or install.
4. GLASS - The definition of this category has been expanded to include but not to be limited to hand blown glass, mouth blown glass or various forms of hot glass.
5. JEWELRY - Entries in this category should be primarily constructed of handcrated components using combinations of techniques such as casting, forging, handforming, carving, solder assemblage, cold connection, sawing and piercing, handmade glasswork and enameling. Found and pre-made objects may be included in the construction.
6. MIXED MEDIA - This category calls for art work which is created with more than one media, the use of which produces a fine art product that conveys a sense of depth and width but involves no actual physical depth, other than that created by illusion. (If the product involves actual physical depth, it may be submitted as a sculpture.)
7. OIL PAINTING
8. PASTELS - Includes both dry and oil based pastels.
9. POTTERY - Includes handmade earthenware, stoneware and porcelain. Delicately constructed work requiring more than normal careful handling should not be submitted.
10. ORIGINAL HAND PULLED PRINTS - This category refers to hand pulled prints in the traditional areas of printmaking such as relief printing, etching, intaglio, solarprints, monoprints, serigraphs. It does NOT refer to commercial reproduction processes such as the glicée print or computer enhanced prints.
12. WATERCOLOR - This category includes pieces created with tranparent watercolor medium. Including other mediums used transparently.
1. DRAWING – This category is for work that was created by hand with pencil, charcoal, ink graphite or scratch board. It does not include digitally created or enhanced images, or fluid ink.
2. PAINTING – This category is for work created with oil, acrylic, tempera, gouache, pastels, fluid ink or watercolor. The work can not contain more than one type of paint.
3. THREE-DIMENSIONAL – Entries in this category have three dimensional physical characteristics.
4. OTHER – Artwork that does not fit into drawing, painting or three-dimensional categories. Examples would be original computer generated, mixed media or jewelry.
An email will be sent to entrants after the jury process is complete. Notification of results can be expected on June 19. A list of exhibitors who have one or more works accepted for display will be posted on the Iowa State Fair website at www.iowastatefair.org prior to the Reception. Complete results, including prizes, will be posted after the reception. The judges’ decisions are final.
SUBMITTING ACCEPTED WORK BY MAIL (DUE JUNE 26) SUBMITTING ACCEPTED WORK IN PERSON (DUE JUNE 27)